The Definition of Mind Mapping
Mind mapping is a technique that is developed by Tony Buzan in 1970. He was explicitly stated on his book, This chapter introduces you to technique for ordering and structuring your thinking, …. From the statement above, he said that mind mapping is a technique. Next, according to Tony Buzan, Mind Maps is harnesses the full range of cortical skills – word, image, number, logic, rhythm, color and spatial awareness – in a single, uniquely powerful technique. In so doing, it gives you the freedom to roam the infinite expanses of your brain . Besides, Buzan also stated about mind map in his different book, Mind maps are a graphic, network method of-storing, organizing and prioritizing information (usually on paper) using key or trigger words and images, each of which will ‘snap on’ specific memories and encourage new thoughts and ideas. Besides that, Buzan order the way in teaching writing by using picture, line, symbol, color or words.
Besides that, mind mapping is writing down a central theme and thinking of new and related ideas which radiate out from the center. It means that by focusing on key ideas written down in words, and then looking for branches out and connection between the ideas, we are mapping knowledge in a manner which will help our understanding and easy to remember new information. This way is believed can interest the student.
In addition, mind mapping is graphic tool used to collect, create, manage, and exchange information. It represents information via the spatial organization of concepts/topics, ideas, words, or other items linked to and arranged in a radial pattern around a central concept. It means that through mind mapping, it can be tool to organize, manage and create the information. Moreover, Silvina assumed that mind mapping is considered a brainstorming technique out of which we obtain desired results or even extraordinary ones.
According to the explanation of some experts above, the researcher conclude that, mind mapping technique is a technique that can be used by making a concept through a word or clue then each word has a branch like a tree. The tree is made up of words or short sentences or images connected by lines. And the lines that connect are part of the meaning.
The Characteristics of Mind Mapping Technique
Mind mapping has some characteristics that should be known, it is follows:
1) Always use a central image
2) Use variations of printing, line and image
3) Use organized spacing
4) Use colors, color is one of the most powerful tools for enhancing memory and creativity.
5) Use only one key word per line
6) Each key word has branches.
The Steps of Mind Mapping Technique
According to Tony Buzan, there are some procedures to create the mind map as follows:
1. Focus on the core question, the precise topic. Be clear about what it is that you are aiming for or trying to resolve.
2. Turn your first sheet of paper sideways in front of you(landscape-style), in order to start creating your Mind Map in the center
3. Draw an image in the center of the blank sheet of paper to represent your goal.
4. Use color from the outset, for emphasis structure, texture, creativity – to stimulate visual flow and reinforce the image in your mind.
5. Now draw a series of thick lines, radiating out from the center of the image.
6. Curve your lines because they are more interesting to your eye and more memorable to your brain than straight ones.
7. Write one key. word on each branch, that you associate with the topic
8. Add a few empty branches to your Mind Map. Your brain will want to put something on them.
9. Create second- and third-level branches for your related Associated and Secondary Thoughts. The secondary level connects to the primary branches, the third level to the secondary branches, and so on.
Teaching descriptive writing is not easy, but to pass it we use the appropriate way, like as mind mapping technique. In teaching descriptive writing, the process of using mind mapping technique that the researcher can give the theme or the topic to the students. But before the researcher give the theme or the topic, the researcher must show and give the information based on the theme or the topic. And then the students determine a title based on the theme or the topic. Then, the researcher can ask the student to describe it. Before the student start to describe, they should make a concept. The concept consists of word organizing that has branches using symbol or words.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Mind Mapping Technique
There some advantages of using mind mapping in teaching descriptive writing for students, they are:
1) The central idea is more clearly defined.
2) The relative importance of each idea is clearly identified.
3) The more important ideas are immediately recognizable at the center of the Mind Map.
4) The links between key concepts are immediately identifiable – via Key Words – encouraging association of ideas and concepts and improving memory.
5) Review of information is effective and rapid.
6) The structure of a Mind Map allows additional concepts to be added easily.
Beside that, there are some disadvantages of mind mapping as follows:
1) Associations between key words and ideas are not obvious.
2) The way our minds jump from one association to another and another.
3) One idea can have thousands of links in your mind.
In short, learning by using mind mapping will make the students more enjoy in study English. Besides that, mind mapping can help the students to develop and improve their retention of information and can stimulate their mind quickly look to identify the word easily. So, the students can be easy to write and express their idea based on the title or word that they have planned.
The Definition of Mind Mapping